I. INTRODUCTION OF PROJECT
Rat trap bonding is a one type of bonding technique in which brick header is placed in vertical direction rather than horizontal direction. Also it saves 23% to 30% of material as compared to conventional brick bonding. This bonding technique is very economical.
The rat trap bond is a masonry technique, where the bricks are used in a way which creates a cavity within the wall, while maintaining the same wall thickness as for a conventional brick masonry wall. While in a conventional English bond or Flemish bond, bricks are laid flat, in a Rat trap bond, they are placed on edge forming the inner and outer face of the wall, with cross bricks bridging the two faces. The main advantage of Rat-trap bond is reduction in the number of bricks and mortar required as compared to English/ Flemish bond because of the cavity formed in the wall. The cavity also makes the wall more thermally efficient.
In villages of India people can’t afford expensive construction houses, so that rat trap bonding walls are more economical than English bond or Flemish bond, but rat trap bonding walls are weaker than conventional bonding walls. So that our purpose is to adding some locally available or cheap material to increase the strength of brick wall and people can live in these houses without any fear of destruction of wall.
In Kerala state the villages peoples are use this technique since 1970s but in northern India this technique is not used by people. Most of village houses are uncompleted or not finished at the stage of end of construction, because of improper management techniques and lack of money in construction houses. So our project deals with saving construction materials and provides good strength for houses can habitable for 20 to 30 years.
Objective of report:
• To provide good strength for rat trap bonding wall.
• To find suitable material for strength and durability as well as economical in cost.
• To increase performance of wall.
• To find the cost of constructing rat trap bonding wall.
• To inform the village people about this technique and advantages.
• To be part of Nation’s Development.
Summary For Report
• Our project is related to increase the strength of rat trap bonding wall. Our main goal is to increase the strength of rat trap trap bonding wall at economical cost. We have to find different materials to increase the strength and compare these materials to choose the best material that we can use in our project.
We selected our topic from our previous project work from 2nd and 3rd year in Design Engineering project “low cost housing”. In which we discovered so many techniques for cost reduction of different elements of house. In wall section in our previous project we discovered that rat trap bonding method reduces 20 to 30% cost in overall cost of construction of wall, but we faces problem related to strength of wall as compared to conventional brick wall. So we decided to increase the strength of rat trap wall in our final year project, and how we re-innovate the design of wall and make stronger and durable. We have to find proper solution or material for increasing strength of rat trap rat trap wall.
Design Engineering Canvas:
We construction visited site at sudhanagar, valsad and observe the various construction activities at site. As per our experienced at site we prepare design engineering canvas.
1. AEIOU Summery
2. Ideation Canvas
3. Product development canvas
4. Empathy Mapping Canvas
In our project we decided to make a prototype of rat trap bonding wall and after that we are going to buy fiber reinforced polymer and concreting fiber reinforced polymer on outer surface of the wall.
We developed our prototype at sudhanagar, valsad. We take the permission of site owner to construct a wall on their property and we began our work. We take the help of skilled labor and build the 7 layers of rat trap bonding wall.
First we planned the location the location of wall on the construction site after that we arrange some bricks before constructing actual rat trap bonding wall for some understanding the layout of brickwork and some planning work purpose.
We cleaned the location of wall and after that we make a mixture of sand, cement and water which is also known as mortar.
And then we make a thick layer of mortar on the surface of plain ground, because we constructed our wall on concrete surface so that we make 2cm thick layer of mortar.
By using lining thread we adjusted the bricks in one line direction, it is very important to laying bricks in straight line.
After that we started a laying brickwork. We placed brick header in vertical direction and that design of bricks made a cavity between two bricks.
We constructed total 7 layers of bricks.
Real field identification
• We constructed rat trap bonding wall for identification of several problems on the field.
• We faced some problems during construction of rat trap bonding.
• The mortar is sometimes falls into the cavity of the walls.
• And the rat trap bonding wall strength is low as compared to conventional bonding method.
• The strength is the main problem in our project.
• So we meet our internal guide to discuss about problems regarding our project.
• Our internal guide suggested studying research paper related to our project.
• We study so many research papers to find out the solution for increasing strength of rat trap bonding wall.
• We find several solutions for increasing strength of rat trap bonding wall.
• Following are the some solutions that we find out from research paper.
(a) Using polystyrene between the cavity of wall.
(b) Using cast iron/wrought iron lateral ties to increase the strength of rat trap bonding wall, It gives support between two bricks.
(c) Using M20 grade of concrete to fill up the cavity between rat trap bonding wall.
(d) Using fiber reinforced polymer for concreting wall in outer surface of wall.
• After finding some solutions we meet our internal guide and discussed with them about solution that we find.
• Our internal guide suggested that any proved solution by experiment in laboratory may be selected for increasing strength of rat trap bonding wall.
• So we choose the fiber reinforced polymer for increasing strength of rat trap bonding wall.
Fiber reinforced polymer:
Fiber reinforced polymer (FRP) is also known as Fiber reinforced plastic. FRP is a one type of composite material which is made of a polymer matrix reinforced with fibers. The fibers used in fiber reinforced polymer is usually glass ( in fiberglass ), carbon ( in carbon-fiber-reinforced polymer ), basalt and aramid. Rarely, other fibers such as wood, paper and asbestos have been used. The polymers is usually an epoxy, vinylester or polyester thermosetting plastic, though phenol formaldehyde resins are still in use.
Fiber reinforced polymers are mostly used in construction industries, marine, automotive industries, aerospace. They are commonly found in ballistic armor as well.
To keep pace with the rising housing demands in the country, the Indian government and private sectors can adopt this technique to reduce the cost of material. For large project on housing scheme this may saves so much amount of money.
The central government has ambitious plans of providing housing affordable housing to people under the housing for all by 2022 or ‘pradhan mantri awas yojna’ and is thus making effects to boost the construction activities. In urban area government introduces pradhan mantri awas yojna (PMAY) ( Urban ) also called the housing for all scheme, PMAY was launched in 2015 and aims to deliver houses for the homeless by 2022. And for the rural area government introduces pradhan mantri gramin awas yojna previously known as Indira awas yojna.
As we know that government only gave them money for construction of houses in village or city area. In some cases people wasting their subsidy in inappropriate work of construction so this technique may be helpful for saving some amount of money.